Powered By Blogger

Sunday 31 August 2014

A special mosaic commission commemorating the First World War.

Hello everyone,

I have been and will be very busy making 9 mosaics , which I have been commissioned to make for a park in Ripley, Derbyshire, UK.  The designs are taken from paintings by local school children.

It's a wonderful project to be involved in, for so many reasons.  For those of you who follow me on my Facebook page - www.facebook.com/justmosaics.co.uk - everyone is getting involved in all sorts of ways.

It is so moving to hear so many real life stories of the sacrifices made, and I feel honoured to making a permanent memorial for everyone to see in the park - we will remember them.

The children's paintings are lovely, but have been a challenge to interpret into a mosaic in my own unique style.  The mosaics will be on plinths in a circle, and are 35cm x 39cm.  I am using porcelain tiles which are hard to snip, but now (thanks to an fb friend) have some porcelain snippers and life is a lot easier - first time I have ever had blisters!

I am making good progress - three are completed apart from the grouting, and I hope I am capturing the spirit of the children's paintings, as well as doing my own thing!

Below are the paintings, followed by my mosaic.










I have five more mosaics to make, and will keep you posted.

Thanks for reading,
Felicity x

No comments:

Post a Comment